At 7 pm, Friday night we went into the hospital. Our doctor recommended going out to eat for dinner before hand so that I wouldn't have to eat hospital food. We met up with my parents, my brother and his girlfriend at a local brew pup (no, I didn't drink!) to have a good dinner. We got to the hospital a little after 7 (due to construction and being confused as to where to go inside the hospital) and met our nurse, Kimberly. She was a great nurse and helped us feel more comfortable.
After many questions about my health, the pregnancy and so on, the drug we were there for was finally inserted. Cervidil is a drug that is supposed to help soften the cervix and then nature would basically take over. I was strapped up to all the machines to monitor my contractions and Lily's heart rate. As soon as I was connected, you could see I was having contractions. They were what I had been feeling (the tightness in my uterus) but they weren't serious in pain. They were coming 2 minutes apart though. My cervix just didn't want to open, so that was the reason for the medicine. From 8 or so on (when the medicine was inserted) to about 12 or a little later, things seemed fine. Lily's heart rate was within the range it needed to be and my contractions were going steady. They were increasing as they should be, but nothing was going on with my cervix. Hours later, I was still only 2 inches.
Between 12 and 3 (or so), the contractions increased a lot. My back was killing me so I finally got medicine for it. However, the cervix was not doing anything. Then, the medicine fell out. The medicine was very similar to a tampon, it was a very small piece connected to a long string. Some how it had come detached and fell out. They were going to replace it with another one but my contractions were coupling. I didn't know what this meant but you could see it on the monitor. My contractions were coming two at a time, one after the other, with no space to relax. This didn't really hurt me, but it affected Lily's heart rate which was not good. They wanted to see if they would stop before giving me another one.
Through this all, I was trying to sleep. It didn't happen as I was nervous about the coupling, Lily's heart rate, my pain and everything going on.
I guess I had found a comfortable enough position and was out of it enough due to being halfway asleep and having some drugs in my system, that I didn't fully understand things that happened next. Around 3 am, Kimberly and a few other nurses came running in. Lily's heart rate had dropped to around 70 (maybe a little later). I was starting to freak out but I didn't know. I was more afraid of why everyone was in my room. I knew things were bad, but I didn't realize what it meant or what happened to cause the need for them to be there. Soon, the doctor on call came in and told us that her heart rate was down and they were having trouble getting it up. They were talking about a C-section and quick. More people came in. I was scared. Doug was scared. We didn't know what was going on. I was just so worried that I had done something wrong.
In minutes, the doctor had broken my water and noticed that it was full of meconium. Another bad sign. This meant that more people were there and that it was even a bigger rush now. As they rushed to get things together for the C-section, I just couldn't wrap my head around everything. It was 3 in the morning, I was exhausted, in pain and worried. Then they came in and said something that made me feel just a little better - her heart rate was increasing. This meant that they didn't have to rush as quickly but they still needed to go ahead with the plans.
Before long, I was rushed to OR and getting an epidural. Before he could ask if my legs were tingly, I was numb from my belly down to my toes. They lifted me to the OR table and put up the screen. Doug came in and was there just in time for the cut and for them to suction Lily (they did so before fully taking her out due to the meconium) and then the rest is just a blur. Doug got to cut the cord and show her to me. He then went with some nurses and Lily to the nursery and I stayed there to be stitched up and all that. Everyone there (there were a lot people!) were super nice. The doc on call said everything was fine and I could relax.
Soon, I was back in the room we were in earlier and told I had to lay there for 6 hours, completely flat. We had called our parents and my parents were there before long, and Doug's parents were on their way. I don't remember a lot of what happened in this time, other than that I was slowly able to feel body parts as the drug wore off.
UPDATE: After Doug read this entry, he reminded me that while the drugs wore off, I shook like crazy. It really pissed me off because I hated it. I had no control, had some trouble talking, and was just not liking it. It made me feel like a junkie and I've never done drugs in my life! It lasted a good 2 hours, I'd say, and I was so happy when it stopped. I was afraid to hold Lily because of it.
I eventually got to move to our other room and could slowly increase the back of the bed to be at an incline. I could only eat ice chips for a long time, which I was upset with because I was thirsty and then hungry. When it was time, I had to be "tested" by walking around the nurses station and if I could do that without any trouble, I "earned" a Sprite. If I kept the Sprite down, I could then have an all liquid diet for dinner. I was determined to do both! And I did. The chicken broth soup, pudding and water never tasted so good.
The next day, I was allowed to eat solid foods. And boy, did I enjoy those eggs! I couldn't eat them fast enough it seemed.
Lily had been doing well the entire time. She was pink, big and healthy.
I ended up staying in the hospital until Tuesday (I went in Friday). This allowed for time to rest and for the doctors to make sure everything was going well with both me and Lily. The incision from the surgery is super low, super straight and doesn't hurt at all. Everyone says it looks good and that I'm doing well. Lily lost a little weight while in the hospital but gained some before coming home. She had to have some formula the last night there because of the weight loss, but they weren't that worried. It was just a precaution because my milk hadn't fully come in and they didn't want her to lose any more weight.
All in all, things went great. Yes, we had a terrible scare but the hospital and the staff took care of everything. I put my trust in them and they did everything like they should have. I'm glad that I had the C-section because I don't think a 9 lb., 10 oz baby was coming out naturally! And with a C-section, she has a beautiful shaped head and nose. No cone heads and smashed noses!
1 comment:
How scary...So glad you had wonderful care, and that you and Lily are doing well.
Take care of yourselves, and can't wait for more pictures of baby Lily!
Post a Comment